Archived Discussion Topic

Visa for parents       started by lilyku on 06 Apr 2007   (12698)
Message InfoMessage
From Gollywobbler

To lilyku

07 Apr 2007 10:29 PM
(58434)
Hi Lily Ny mother's application was submitted in 2005, so she paid the amounts applicable in 2005/6. However, the price goes up on 1st July every year and the figures for an application submitted prior to 30 June 2007 would be as follows: Visa application charge: $1,340. This covers both Parents and is the cost of actually processing the visa application. 2nd InstalmentL $29,330 per parent.* Bond: $10,000 for the main applicant and a further $4,000 for the pouse, so $14,000 in total for a couple.** * The second instalment is the Contribution towards the Parent's future health-care costs in Australia, hence the title of the visa. Somebody who has become very old and frail and needs nursing home care in Australia towards the end of their life costs the State about $300,000 on average before the person dies. The logic behind the Contributory Parent scheme is that it is not unreasonable to ask the Parent for 10% of that up front and Australia will carry the remaining 90% of the financial risk. Policy is that it would be unreasonable to split the family up if they have close family ties with people living in Australia. ** The Bond is held for 10 years in an account which pays reasonable interest every six months. If the parent claims one of a range of Centrelink Benefits during the 10 years, then at the end of 10 years, Centrelink will use the Bond to repay itself unless the Assurer has repaid the debt in the meantime. The Assurer of Support is income-tested by Centrelink too befor the Assurance of Support (which goes with the Bond) is accepted. Assets are ignored for the most part. Please see this link: http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=391 In my opinion it is a disgrace that neither the DIAC or the Centrelink websites spell this bit out, so we have to rely on Migration Agents to supply this bit of the information instead, but there it is. We did not use a Migration Agent for my mother, by the way. Doing all the research takes time but you can get stacks of help from the plethora of Internet forums about migration to Oz. Also the POPC (Perth Offshore Parents Centre) which processes this particular visa are incredibly helpful - always ready to provide guidance very quickly and free of charge. We found that the POPC's advice was first rate when we were not sure about some of the details. They responded within 24 hours every time and the suggestions they made also helped to cut some of the red tape with the process. Where are you, Lily? From your user name of Lilyku, I would guess possibly Malaysia or that general direction? I'm in the UK and I am British but I was born and brought up in Malaysia because Dad was a long-term expat out there before he retired to the UK. I go back to Malaysia whenever I can. We still know people there and keep in regular touch with them. The are very good friends of very long standing. Because we made Mum's application from the UK, I can confidently describe what happened in our own case. However if your parents would be applying from a different jurisdiction (eg Malaysia) you would need to find out more about the drills locally. I will stay in touch, Lily. To avoid sensory overload, I think it is better at this stage just to let you ask the questions and for me to answer them. If you care to PM me then I will reply by e-mail so that we are in direct touch with each other. Let me just say that it is perfectly possible for a Parent to apply for a Contributory Parent visa but then to spend almost all of the processing period for it in Australia using a long-stay tourist visa. This is how we did it for my mother and it worked like a charm. After all, if the Parent does not want to move to Australia, they would not be applying for the Contributory Parent visa in the first place. Actually processing the application does not take up much of a Case Officer's time. What takes the time is reaching the top of the pile because the POPC (the processing centre for Parents) is chronically short-staffed. That is DIAC's problem, not my mother's problem, bluntly! Cheers Gill