Archived Discussion Topic

Tax break advice required!       started by dougandjo on 28 Dec 2009   (22391)
Message InfoMessage
From dougandjo

28 Dec 2009 12:37 AM
Hi, I will be moving to Brisbane on a 457 visa mid March 2010 and have been told by my intended employer that I can get a tax break on the first 12 months property rental costs, is this correct? Are there other tax breaks, such as on furniture rental? or other breaks generally that a scot might not immediately recognise? Thanks Doug
From JackieSmith

To dougandjo

30 Dec 2009 5:58 PM
You can get a tax break - not only for the first 12 months but or the whole of the period you are here on a temporary basis - ie until you either go back to the UK or until your intent to remain temporarily changes. Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) allows you to receive tax free payments from your employer to cover the additional cost of relocation e.g. travel and accomodation costs while you are living away from home with the intention to return to your original place of residence. An additional benefit of being on a temp visa is that you3 do not have to pay Australian tax on any overseas income you earn - so if you are renting a propertyu in the UK, you don't have to decl
From Jillianmary

To dougandjo

18 Jan 2010 7:29 PM
we are a firm of chartered accountants based in Perth dealing with UK and Australian tax issues - if you have a question regarding tax please email or telephone 08 9444 3400 and ask for Colleen Handy (tax) or Jill Lockwood or Colette Pieniazek (pensions) we will be able to ansswer your questions.