Archived Discussion Topic

UK State Pension       started by Jillianmary on 01 Feb 2010   (22530)
Message InfoMessage
From Jillianmary

01 Feb 2010 7:03 PM
Do you know that if you have worked in the UK and paid national insurance contributions you will be able to draw the UK pension even though you live in Australia.
From cathntone

To Jillianmary

01 Feb 2010 7:27 PM
Yes you can. It is not index linked though.
From kildrummy

To cathntone

01 Feb 2010 8:00 PM
Not yet but there are a couple of cases working their way through the European courts at the moment which are trying to address the inequality of it being index linked in most countries but not so in a handful. They expect to win but I will wait and see.
From cathntone

To kildrummy

01 Feb 2010 8:45 PM
Yes, I did know about that, this is the final stage of the appeal to the European courts so if it goes in favour of the UK Government then that is that. It's mostly commonwealth countries that are affected which seems particularly mean. The last thing I read on this subject was that they were supposed to report in March.