Archived Discussion Topic

Residency       started by kildrummy on 26 Aug 2010   (23067)
Message InfoMessage
From kildrummy

26 Aug 2010 11:00 PM
If we apply for and are granted perminant residency status and then go straight back to the UK or else where for a year or two does this have an effect on our residency status. I have tried asking the relevant authorities but they never respond to my emails. Perhaps i am just not taking the hint.
From Debra

To kildrummy

30 Aug 2010 4:18 PM
Hi I am not sure if each visa is different but our visa stated we had to be in Australia by a certain date to validate it, then we could return to UK but have to be in the country before your visa expires, i think you have to remain in Australia for at least 2 years to get a resident return visa which you will need to get to leave and come back again after your visa has run out. Hope I have made some sense and if I am wrong about anything please some one say!!
From kildrummy

To Debra

30 Aug 2010 5:55 PM
Thanks Debra, perhaps i should have mentioned that we have been in Perth now for two and half years. We are here on a 457 visa, actually our second one now, which is valid until 2014. We are thinking of going back to the UK in 2012 for a year or so and need to become residents if we wish to keep the house we currently live in. Strangely enough I heard from the appropriate authorities about 2 hours after i posted my question. For your information they say as soon as you are awarded PR you can come and go as you please for a period of five years. However after 5 years if you wish to extend your PR you might have to explain why if you have spent less than two of the previous five years in Oz. Thanks Mark