Archived Discussion Topic

Drivers licence       started by Douglas_family on 11 Feb 2011   (23389)
Message InfoMessage
From Douglas_family

11 Feb 2011 11:06 PM
I applied to transfer my UK drivers licence yesterday and was told that its only valid for 3 months from the date your visa is granted and not from when you enter Australia. She told me i was driving illegally!! But i know have a temporary licence incase i get stopped by the police. We checked the info online and you can drive a hire car for 3 months or possibly longer on your UK licence but no other vehicle without an Australian licence. Just thought i'd let new expats know and those soon to arrive as we thought our licence was fine for 3 months.
From stevemc

To Douglas_family

11 Feb 2011 11:25 PM
that happened to me too, i thought the same, we cant be the only ones!
From debs1966

To stevemc

12 Feb 2011 9:50 AM
This is interesting does this mean when we land in Perth we are not able to use our UK driving licence initially before applying for an Australian driving licence. How do you go about applying for a Aussie licence please? Do we have to sit a a driving or theory test please if though we have a UK licence? Hope you can advise me of this please? Best wishes Debbie
From Kris+Rob

To debs1966

12 Feb 2011 11:20 AM
To change your car/motorcycle licence find your nearest licencing centre, fill out a form, they take a picture, do an eye test, pay the fee and your Australian licence will arrive in the post. For anything heavier a driving test will have to be taken. Some countries' expats (South Africa, for example) will have to take a driving test regardless. Regarding the three months rule: How would the fuzz know you're not her on holiday???
From stevemc

To debs1966

12 Feb 2011 12:47 PM
you are covered if you are hiring a car at first, just apply then and you get a paper one straightaway and the card comes through after.
From Douglas_family

To stevemc

13 Feb 2011 12:36 AM
I'm a tad confused to be honest. We brought a car today and the dealer said you could drive around on your uk licence. I'm only going by what i was told at the drivers licence centre. However i have known friends who have in the past brought a cheap camper van to travel oz for a year and they only used their uk licence. Its probably best to change your licence as soon as you get a chance if your emigrating.
From Kieren

To Kris+Rob

13 Feb 2011 4:52 PM
quote: 'Regarding the three months rule: How would the fuzz know you're not her on holiday???' Coz they could ask you to provide visa/holiday documents. Happened to me not long after arriving. KIEREN
From kildrummy

To Kieren

13 Feb 2011 9:14 PM
It also depends on your visa type. If you are here on a 457 you can use your UK one for the duration. 3 years so far in my wifes case.
From debs1966

To kildrummy

13 Feb 2011 9:22 PM
What about on a skilled 136 visa?
From tisme

To debs1966

14 Feb 2011 10:08 AM
A skilled 136 is a permanent residents visa, so you will have to get a WA drivers license. Only those visiting can drive without one, visitors being, those WITHOUT a permanent residents visa.