Archived Discussion Topic

Parents visa       started by ollie_helen on 17 Feb 2011   (23401)
Message InfoMessage
From ollie_helen

17 Feb 2011 12:34 PM
Hi all, It's been a few years since I've posted on here but love reading all the posts even after 5 years! My wifes parents have finally (after 18months) been granted their permanent residency visa. Not an easy thing to get and VERY VERY expensive and you don't get the money back! If anybody wants to know more about this process please ask because we learned the hard way that we could have got the visa in only a couple of months doing it slightly differently so lots of advice. Good luck to all out there! Oliver
From m+m

To ollie_helen

17 Feb 2011 8:07 PM
Hi Oliver, we are looking to get my mum and partner over here and as you say it is pretty expensive and lengthy... Any suggestions as to how we could go about it a different way? We were looking to get them here on a contributory parent visa, as any other parent visa just takes ages to get processed. Any advise will be greatly appreciated, Thanks a lot Maria
From ollie_helen

To m+m

18 Feb 2011 4:32 PM
Hi Maria, The parent contributory visa is the best way to get parents across unless you want to wait for the free visa which now has a 20year waiting list! The only thing I would recommend is to apply for the contributory visa on-shore as it's much much quicker. Basically if they come over here on holiday and apply whilst they are here they normally turn the visa round in about 10weeks, give or take a couple. My outlaws applied off-shore in the UK and had to wait 18months! The costs still the same... $35k per person and for a couple they also have to provide a bond of $14k which they get back after 10 years. The big fee of $35k (each) they never see again. It's just a bribe to get past the 20 year queue. Hope this helps. Cheers, Oliver
From traceyborthwick

To ollie_helen

18 Feb 2011 7:03 PM
Hi there, We're quite new to this site, and only just embarking on the idea of a move. There woiuld be a possibility of my mum wanting to come. I have read about the visa that allows her to apply after we have been permanent residents for 2 years. Is this the same as the 'free' visa you talk about with the 20 year waiting list? If so, is the contributory parent visa the only other visa available? Would appreciate any comments! Tracey
From cindy42

To ollie_helen

18 Feb 2011 7:27 PM
Is this a permanent visa? Will your parents be entitled to healthcare etc and be able to apply for citizenship? If so how long do they have to wait? thanks cindy
From ollie_helen

To cindy42

19 Feb 2011 1:22 AM
Hi, In response to the parents visa I hope these help - apart from the 20 year wait this was the only other visa available for the wife's parents - the parents who want the visa have to have at least 50% of their children living in Australia - they will have full healthcare entitlements under Medicare. They have this now as tourists anyway. This applies to tourists and migrants only under the reciprocal agreement - can apply for citizenship after 4 years I think just like other permanent residency visas My outlaws come every year for about 9 months at a time and receive full Medicare entitlements. They even get Medicare cards every time they come. I am only commenting on people traveling from the UK. It does vary for other countries. Hope this helps. Cheers, Oliver
From jo+tony+kids

To ollie_helen

19 Feb 2011 1:58 AM
What Visa do your parents use and have many years have they been coming for 9 months every year? My mum does not qualify for a permanent visa due to family balance but we've been advised she can only come for 6 months every year?
From cindy42

To ollie_helen

19 Feb 2011 11:43 AM
thanks :)