Archived Discussion Topic

Uni Preparation Course?       started by debs1966 on 25 Jun 2011   (23652)
Message InfoMessage
From debs1966

25 Jun 2011 8:09 AM
Hi Not sure please if any one can advise me my daughter is looking to go to Edith Cowan Uni in Perth when she moves out to Oz. They apparently can do a 6 month Uni preparation course before the commencement of their Uni degree which is FREE. Does anybody know if she would get this FREE being that we have permanent 136 skilled visa or do you need to be a citizen of Australia for this to apply? I would really appreciate if anybody knows about this please? Many thanks Debbie
From newozziesam

To debs1966

01 Jul 2011 6:06 AM
Hi Debbie there are Uni prep courses available but they most certainly not FREE!!! Not much if any further education is free over here!!! There are courses at Edith cowan & Curtin. My Daughter did the prep course at Curtin which was $4000 a semester!!! by the time you take into account text books, stationary & Parking you will looking at $9000 ( 2 semesters) , which gives you the 8 units to gain entry to Uni. ( PS you cant even apply for HECS on these courses) My advice get her to do as much as she can before she arrives, as its along financial road once she over here!!! Sorry its not what you wanted to hear!! Sam
From debs1966

To newozziesam

01 Jul 2011 6:17 AM
Hi Sam Thanks for your post I have spoken to Edith Cowan Uni and they stipulated that because we have a permanent 136 skilled visa to enter Oz she would get the Uni Prep course FREE for the first 6 months. Then she would start her degree course which she would have to pay for every semester for upfront. I did speak to a couple of staff members in admissions I hope they were correct in what they said. Perhaps I will give them another call in the morning just to clarify this. Kind regards Debbie