Archived Discussion Topic

sponsorship visa       started by irish on 10 Apr 2012   (24023)
Message InfoMessage
From irish

10 Apr 2012 3:54 AM
Hi Has anybody had any experience of moving to pert or aussie on a sponsorship visa?
From Johann

To irish

13 Apr 2012 4:32 PM
Yes. I'm here on a 457. What info do you need?
From irish

To Johann

15 Apr 2012 12:03 AM
Hi Johann Thanks for your reply we would like to know how long do you have to be working over there before you can apply for permanent residency? Do you have to wait a certain time before you can look at buying a house? Also we have 2 children, are there any conditions for schooling under that type of visa? My husband is the one who would be sponsored can i also work out there and finally would you recommend getting over there on a 457 or do you think its better to go on a skilled working visa first? Ive asked alot of questions sorry any info you would have would be really appreciated i know your circumstances may be very different to ours ie you may not have children but it would be nice to get an idea of your own experience so far.Thanks in advance for your input Johann.
From jimboman

To irish

15 Apr 2012 10:10 AM
If you can apply for a skilled independent visa then that it what you should do first. It will give you the same working rights as an Australian Citizen apart from the right to vote or claim dole. Also you will not be tied to one employer. 457s are temporary visas and have a lot of conditions attached. People do get kicked out after a couple of years here because they lose their jobs or don't meet the requirements for a PR when they eventually apply for it.
From kildrummy

To irish

17 Apr 2012 5:34 AM
You can apply for perminant residency immediately. You can also buy a house immediately but need FIRB approval if it is an established property. Seldom any issues if it's for you to live in. No issues regards kids and schools. Only real disadvantage of 457 visa is the fact you are stuck with the one employer unless you can find another to take on your visa.
From irish

To kildrummy

17 Apr 2012 5:57 PM
Thankyou for the info Kildrummy its very much appreciated. Irish
From drippingtin

To irish

24 Apr 2012 11:24 PM
Hello Johann. Just a quick reply re 457 visa. I went to Oz on one of those and ended up coming back to UK, just because i was so restricted with same coompany and hours. I worked full time(midwife) and was unable to reduce hours/ change any sort of conditions of my contract. Obviously it is different for everyone, but if could go on a skilled visa, you are so more free to do as you please re who you work for, how many hours etc so i would suggest seriously looking into a skilled visa rather than a sponsored visa
From KathrynG

To irish

24 May 2012 7:03 PM
It is best if you can get a permanent visa, you will get some benefits from centrelink too, I am not sure you get those with sponsorship visas and I don't know where you stand with medicare either.