Cost of Living in Australia
Household BillsIn this section we list the main costs that our family incurs in running our home, excluding mortgage payments.
We have two school-age children, one dog and we run two cars, so that probably makes us a fairly typical Australian family.
Running the HomeHere are the main running costs for our home over a year.
- Council Rates (City of Joondalup) = $1693
- Water Rates = $892
- Water Usage Charge = $416
- Building Insurance ($418,000 cover) = $675
- Contents Insurance ($113,000 cover) = $425
- Electricity = $1,700
- Gas = $750
- Phone = $1300 ^
- Broadband internet = $600
- Foxtel Pay TV (Basic + Sport) = $840
Total of these housing costs:
$9,291 per year = $774 per month = $178 per week.
^ Phone - comprises a landline service and locals calls with Telstra, calls to Mobile and international with iiNet, our broadband internet provider. We also all have mobiles, which are not included in this. We could almost certainly rationalise all this and save money...something I keep meaning to do!