Cars & Driving in Australia

Printer-friendly versionSend somebody a link to this page

Car Registration and Insurance

Vehicle Registration

All vehicles must have a current "Licence and Third Party insurance Policy" - you're sent a bill each year. For our cars (in WA, 2012) the cost of the annual licences are:
  • $468 for a 2.0L hatchback
  • $555 for a 3.5L 4WD

About $250 of the licence fee pays the premium for Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance for death and injury to a third party caused by the vehicle, whoever is driving. There is no legal requirement to have any other motor insurance, although most people do, of course, to cover damage to themselves, or to their own or another vehicle or other property.


For fully comprehensive insurance (with 65% No Claims Discount) our annual premiums are:
  • $440 for a 2011 Hyundai i30 2.0L hatchback
  • $550 for a 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5L 4WD
Insurance to cover Third Party Damage only would cost about $125 per annum.

No Claims Discount

Most insurance companies I have spoken to offer No Claims Discount based on your number of years claim-free motoring. So, your record in your former country should count towards this and you may qualify for the maximum 65% discount immediately. To be on the safe side, bring your last policy document with evidence of your No Claims Discount.

Australia-Wide Insurance Companies





Just Car Insurance

Allianz (NSW,QLD,SA)

NRMA Car Insurance (NSW, QLD, ACT & TAS)

WA-only Insurance Companies

SGIO Car Insurance


Links to State Insurance Commissions

These are the government bodies that run the Compulsory Third Party Insurance schemes in each state.

WA - Insurance Commission of WA

NSW - Motor Accidents Authority

QLD - Motor Accidents Insurance Commission

SA - Motor Accident Commission

VIC - Transport Accident Commission

TAS - Motor Accidents Insurance Board

ACT - NRMA Insurance Limited

NT - Territory Insurance Office