Cars & Driving in Australia

Printer-friendly versionSend somebody a link to this page

Your Driving License

If you are a permanent migrant to WA, you must obtain a WA driving licence within 3 months of getting here. If you're on a temporary visa you can drive on your overseas licence for up to 12 months.

Getting Your Licence

If you are coming from one of the "recognised countries" (which includes UK, USA and much of Europe) you can simply obtain a WA licence without any testing. If you're coming from a "non-recognised country" you may have to sit a computer-test and a practical driving assessment.

It costs about $70 to apply, plus about $120 for a 5 year licence.

If you're aged under 19, you can only get a provisional licence and will have to display P-plates.

See for all the details.

Learning to Drive